Life is not just worth LIVING. It's worth SHARING.

Monday, July 04, 2005

GRACE's MUSICALS. THEN & NOW.

It had already been five years ago when my friends, Jon, Ralph, Lauren, and I went to the theater of the Cultural Center of the Philippines to watch our close friends namely Java and Deluck. I almost cannnot believe it myself. It was the 50th anniversary of Grace then. At that time, I was very excited to watch the play although I did not have my hopes up. It was just the idea that most of the presentations prepared by Grace always end up in a mess. However, it proved me wrong. It was beautiful. the atmosphere of the production design. the colorful lights. the choreography. the unified voice of the choir. Everything was so right; it even felt as if a magical feeling swept through me as tensions climbed and fell accompanied by the choir's captivating music. Until this very day, I can recall the richness of their performance. For a twelve year old boy then, it was more magical even compared to the Disney classics. It was breathtaking.

Now, five years later, times have changed for me. Friendships. Family. And the expectations I had for the show as I entered the same dark theater of the CCP. Of course, I had high expectations for it thanks to its spectacular predecessor. I was literally craving for the same feeling of awe I had five years ago.

The lights closed and the curtains raised, the show began. Its first offering was "Nic at Night" with acting by the elementary students and music by the high school Glee Club. As it began, continued, and ended, I felt nothing. Nothing. It was a hollow presentation. The music and the acting was standard, but the performers were not in fault. The stench of its failure came from the production. The lifeless set. The anticlimactic choreography. The lack of color. Its producers showed an obvious lack of ambition. Everything was composed of naive materials that did not strive to tap the potentials of its young performers.

The second and last offering "Bow Down" started after a fifteen minute break. At that time, I still had a speck of hope that they could salvage my night. I was partly right and wrong. The high school performers were obviously given more challenging roles, and they did quite well. Their acting and singing performances were engaging and exaggerated that's just right for a theater audience. The music was beautiful, but at times, the elementary choir lacked the power to accompany the strong moments of the play, especially the ending. The choreography, as compared to the first one, gave a modern touch to the classic Bible story and was able to lift the mood of the audience. The performances were superb, but as I thought about it, it was still a shadow of last five year's show. The second show had a strong potential to be in league with its predecessor, but some of the same problems remained. The set. The lack of color. The big difference it had with the first offering is it showed ambition by giving the high school performers good roles and choreography. If they just put more effort in the production design, it really could have been a lot better.

After the show, as one by one the performers bowed, the audience erupted with thunderous claps and echoing whoo's. As the conductress, Ms. Lim went up the stage last, and the crowd released its most powerful applause. It was at this moment when I felt guilty. Instead of appreciating what they've done, I've been thinking about what they did not offer. Then, I felt a different feeling. I felt the passion the people behind and in the show offered the audience. I just kept on clapping and clapping because I knew that the performers and SOME of the production staff did their best to offer us the best that they could do. The hell with the others!!!

PS to the choreographer: Don't underestimate children. I hate the grade school choreo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Haha.. super low expectations ko sa play dahil dito... LOL =D

8:10 PM

 
Blogger by said...

sorry jen hihihi! pero based sa blog mo parang nasiyahan ka eh... maybe dahil sa low expectations.. ok naman ung HS eh

9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home